A Hair How-To From Dirty Pretty Thangs: Curly Afro
Edited with the How-To:
You will need:
- A styling foam/mousse- I use Giovanni or Lottabody w/Olive Oil. Any will do.
- A bunch of cold wave rods- how many and which color/size depends on how much hair you have and how long it is
- Wrapping papers- if you don’t use ‘em, the rollers could tear your hair
- Some clips - duckbill or butterfly, to hold your hair in sections as you roll our hair
- bonnet or hooded hair dryerNow, assuming you’ve already washed/co-washed/detangled your hair, you need to remove as much excess water as possible using a t-shirt or microfiber towel seal it with your favorite oil or butter (I like coconut oil or avocado butter), then apply your leave-in conditioner or whatever you use for that purpose. I use Giovanni Direct Leave-in Conditioner but I used to use Cantu and that’s pretty good too.
Let your hair dry to nearly damp. Your hair doesn’t have to be soaking wet for this to work. I promise. And it lessens the time you gotta spend under that hot ass dryer.
Separate your hair into about 6-8 big sections, twist them or hold them with the clips so they won’t get in the way as you work on each section separately. Now you got take small sections of each of those sections and part w/a rat tail comb and put the roller on them. Apply that mousse/styling foam to the section of hair you plan on rolling and roll it. Make sure you wrap those wrapping papers either around the ends of your hair or around the roller so it won’t tear your hair. ROLL DAT SHIT! If your hair starts getting TOO dry, have your lil’ spray bottle of water near you so can spritz it back to damp.
Repeat all that til your whole head is full of rollers.
Then put your head under the dryer for about fiddy’leben hours. Nawl, just long enough to dry. Watch a movie or two or episodes of whatever show you like.
After your hair is completely dry, take the rollers out one by one. Don’t just snatch ‘em out all dumb. Unwind your hair from the roller so you won’t mess up the curls.
Then, rub some light oil or pomade on your hands and pull the curls apart, GENTLY.
OK! Now you’re done! You can put a headband on it or stick a flower up for decoration or tuck combs to change the shape. Barrettes, hair pins…whateva you like.
When you go to be at night, just pull it up into a scrunchie to the top of your head if you have enough hair. That’s what I’m gonna do.